The majority of prescription pharmaceuticals and medications are considered off limits in pregnancy and post partum, leaving few options for discomforts. With simple use of essential oils, breathing can slow, muscles relax and vital signs improve.
Aromatherapy safety guidelines:
- Avoid essential oils in first trimester (lemon inhalation only after 10 weeks).
- Use lavender and roman chamomile with caution with asthma and seasonal allergies.
- Avoid use of clary sage or lavender with epidural until blood pressure normalizes post epidural.
- Avoid rose with increased bleeding and hemorrhage.
- Avoid aroma therapy with epilepsy, high risk pregnancies, liver or renal disease, preeclampsia, eclampsia, placenta previa and reduced fetal movements.
- Exercise extra caution with breech, diabetes, asthma, allergies, hypertension, hypotension, bleeding disorders, history of miscarriage, hemorrhage and allergies to plants or aromatics.